Rabbi Louis Grossman asked Ida E. Ginsberg to guide the formation of the JEWISH WOMEN’S CLUB of Temple Beth El. Mrs. Ginsberg was elected the first president.
A committee was formed to visit the sick, provide classes in dressmaking, physical culture and the study of English.
A committee was appointed to represent the Jewish Women’s Club at the Women’s Congress at the Chicago World’s Fair, establishing the NATIONAL COUNCIL OF JEWISH WOMEN. Hannah G. Solomon was elected its first president.
The establishment of our first EDUCATION ASSISTANCE FUND, the Ida E. Ginsberg Scholarship Fund, used for educating worthy girls.
The Women’s Club began its advocacy work by adding its name to a list of organizations sent to Congress protesting inhumane practices in the Congo.
The PENNY LUNCH PROGRAM was instituted: council members prepared and served school lunches to underprivileged children in the Detroit School system.
The Jewish Women’s Club became the DETROIT SECTION of NCJW. Mrs. Joseph M. Welt (Mildred) was elected the first president. She served as National President from 1925-1928, and International Council of Jewish Women President 1949-1951.
The NATIONAL CONVENTION of NCJW was held in Detroit (also in 1971 and 1996).
COUNCIL RESALE SHOP located at 89 Rowena Street Detroit, Michigan opened its doors.
JUNIOR COUNCIL was organized.
TWELFTH STREET COUNCIL CENTER opened in cooperation with the Jewish Community Center. One hundred and twenty five volunteers served 1,000 people a week with educational and recreational programs.
Joined Resettlement Service, and the Jewish Welfare Federation to form SERVICE TO NEW AMERICANS.
High school age girls formed the “COUNCILETTES” providing a program for social activities, community service and support to the Hannah G. Solomon Scholarship Fund.
Detroit’s first ANGEL BALL was held on Thanksgiving eve at the Book-Cadillac Hotel.
OPERATION FRIENDSHIP, a program for convalescing mental health patients. Later became PROJECT FRIENDSHIP, in partnership with Kadima.
THE ORCHARDS RESIDENTIAL HOME, a treatment home for emotionally impaired boys opened their doors in Livonia, MI. This developed into ORCHARDS CHILDREN’S SERVICES, ranked first in Foster Care, second in Adoptions in the state of Michigan.
Detroit Section donated over its fair share to the HEBREW UNIVERSITY HIGH SCHOOL in ISRAEL, as well as giving an additional amount for the DETROIT ROOM at the High School.
The CUSTER ELEMENTARY SCHOOL project was inaugurated: 100 volunteers began serving as tutors, teacher’s aides, enrichment trip assistants, and drivers.
A citation was presented to the Detroit Section of NCJW by the Round Table of Catholics, Jews and Protestants, in recognition of the section’s affiliation and cooperation.
NCJW/Detroit Section was awarded the UNITED SERVICE ORGANIZATION CITATION for Outstanding Volunteer Services.
NCJW, Inc adopts a resolution to work for abortion rights and to eliminate obstacles that limit this right.
DETROIT SECTION becomes GREATER DETROIT SECTION NCJW, with its move to the suburbs.
MEALS ON WHEELS was established to provide Kosher meals to home-bound adults.
SPACE, a support group for Jewish Single Parents was initiated. SPACE broadened its scope in later years to involve divorce, bereavement, and many other support groups to meet the needs of the community.
COURT APPOINTED SPECIAL ADVOCATES (CASA) project began in Oakland County Juvenile Court. Then expanded to Legal Guardian Program for Adults. Now renamed CHILDREN’S ADVOCATES.
ORCHARDS CHILDREN’S SERVICES was honored by a joint legislative resolution that commended NCJW for its work in the mental health field.
FIRST FASHION SPREE was held at the Southfield Civic Center. THE BUSINESS AND PROFESSIONAL BRANCH, a new group of professional women, was formed as part of NCJW/Greater Detroit.
ACCESS GUIDE for the physically impaired was printed.
FIDDLER in the KITCHEN, our fundraising cookbook was published.
UP and OUT, a new community service project for seniors was inaugurated.
THE BACKPACK PROJECT began as a way to support those children in need in Pontiac, Michigan. It has now expanded to giving out over one thousand backpacks to Oakland County children.
JEWISH NEWS on TAPE, became a service for the visually impaired and the blind.
100th ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION.
PASSPORT TO ISRAEL was launched to educate children in the Detroit Metropolitan area about Israel.
SAFE PLACE, a Kosher shelter for abused women was opened.
ADOPT-A-SCHOOL, later renamed ADVENTURES IN READING program for K-1st grade students began in Ferndale, later expanding to include tutoring at COLEMAN A. YOUNG ELEMENTARY SCHOOL in Detroit and DARCHAI TORAH in Southfield.
HIPPY program (Home Instruction for Preschoolers) began in Farmington Public Schools. Office moved to our current location at 26400 Lahser Rd, Southfield, MI 48033.
Distributed 3000 copies of the TEEN YELLOW PAGES, a resource guide to services available for teens. Now, in its fifth printing.
ALL KIDS PAYGROUND, the DaVinci Award winning universally accessible playground opened at Hess Hathaway Park in Waterford.
NCJW/Greater Detroit Section hires its first EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR, Susan Gertner.
TEEN DATING ABUSE AWARENESS program launched for high school students.
WRAPPED IN LOVE project, creating blankets for children removed from their homes, and for other children receiving medical treatment in a hospital began.
SHOES TO SHARE, a shoe collection project for school children and adults distributed to Metro Detroit area agencies began.
LUGGAGE FOR FREEDOM, provided personal and household items for domestic abuse victims, who are housed at the Haven (a local woman’s shelter), as they transition to a new living environment.
re|design Home consignment store opened, in Royal Oak.
120th ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION.
Name changed to NCJW/Greater Detroit.
DIANE C. JONES AWARD given by Blue Cross/Blue Shield for “providing exemplary programs and services to improve the overall well-being of older adults” for our MEALS ON WHEELS program.
Received UNSUNG HERO AWARD from Detroit Public Schools for Outstanding Literacy contribution to Coleman A. Young Elementary including tutoring, reading and library restoration.
BACK 2 SCHOOL STORE launched, a one day pop-up store now serving 450 Detroit inner city students with a set of clothes, shoes, coats and backpacks filled with school supplies, toiletries and a book.
Two NCJW Book Clubs created.
COURT WATCHERS PILOT PROGRAM established.
HUMAN TRAFFICKING SYMPOSIUM to educate teens, parents, teachers, and the community.
Received COMMITMENT TO COMMUNITY AWARD from Orchards Children’s Services